Theme: Networking Communities - Essay 5
Author: Laurie Becklund, Los Angeles-based journalist
E-mail: judyrat@earthlink.net

Real Stories - Associated Student Press

        What models for sustained content development and
interaction are emerging, you ask?

        Let me describe one, but first the reasons for it.

        I am concerned that most of us bemoan, but accept as
almost inevitable, a digital divide that may last a decade --
more if new wedge technologies emerge to extend it.

        While we wire, wouldn't it be helpful to define what
sorts of information that travels over the Net is critical? And
to figure out if there are alternative ways to inform those to
need it until then?

        I am a former Los Angeles Times staff writer and (during
OJ) CBS News producer who tends to look at information
pragmatically. For years, I've had advocates call me up to "get
word out" about, for example, campaigns to help kids,
immigrants, human rights victims. I care about those issues and
wrote about many of them. But, I turned down others because they
weren't newsworthy on a national level. Yet, on the community
level at discussion here, they were critical. Moreover, the
people who would have benefited most directly from them didn't
read The Times or watch Dan Rather. Many didn't even speak
English.

        After the OJ Trial ended, I took the Nestea Plunge into
volunteer work and helped a friend who started the NetDay
movement by doing a news site helping volunteers wiring schools.
I cared about wiring schools, but I cared more about relieving
children's dependence on the motivation level of adults around
them.

        The challenge as I saw it was this: how could we get
customized, needed, news out to local (school) communities on
air or on paper. Then it hit me: the largest network of
community newspapers in the country is school newspapers. As
early adopters even in poor schools (where newspapers still
exist), students are in a pivotal position to take information
in over the Internet, then turn around and publish it on paper
or on air. Moreover, they instinctively know their readers and
can tailor information to their needs.

         Yet, these kids operate in near isolation, often with
advisers whose first love is coaching football. In California,
Delaine Easton, the Supt. of Schools last year MAILED to every
principal an application notifying them they could qualify for
50% technology discounts. Yet, the last I checked, fewer than
half had returned them. If a kid had done a story about that in
a paper, wouldn't SOMEONE have asked about it? In one
demonstration project I did, kids were able to interview Reed
Hundt at least letting them know schools/districts were going to
have to apply in order to get discounts.

        Now, nearly a year of organizing, programming, and
networking later, we're preparing to start up the Associated
Student Press, which will create the first national databank of
student journalism, allow kids to read and reprint each other's
work, collaborate on national projects, attend "virtual press
conferences" -- all via simple Internet connections.

        Lots of people and institutions are now coming forward,
but we still have many needs to finish development over this
summer when kids and advisers are out. Once we're up, expect
kids to start defining issues and, I suspect, doing something
about them. Critical thinking skills, literacy, technological
fluency -- all these are skills that must be used in this
project -- not only to inform communities -- but to create a
diverse 21st century press corps that just might report the OJ
Trial a little differently.

        For details, check http://www.schoolwire.org/asp.htm.
Would love your responses and participation.

Laurie Becklund
SchoolWire & Judy's Rat
213-856-4223
888-213-NEWS

 Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Universal Access Event
 WWW/Un/Subscribe Info: http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa
 Sub To: majordomo@publicus.net Body: subscribe emfa-event

 Forward event posts via e-mail to others, for details on
 other uses or to send general comments:  emfa@publicus.net