Theme: Networking Communities - Essay 7
Author: Mary Emery
E-Mail: memery@lcsc.edu

Participatory Research and the Power of Networked Communities

We see what Internet access can do to help communities
communicate better among members.  We have many examples of how
Internet access changes our perceptions and actions in regard
to public advocacy work.  We know that Internet access overcomes
the barriers to getting and using information inherent in
living in a rural, remote, or poor community. What we have yet
to explore is the power of the world-wide web technology to help
communities learn about themselves and others and to generate
their own knowledge base.

The new technology makes it possible for every person to
publish.  Via web pages any one can make their information
available to others.  Individuals from all walks of life
can create new information, mismanage information from others,
organize existing information for a particular purpose, or
editorialize about events and others interpretation of those
events.  Many have commented that this aspect of life in the
Information Age may have revolutionary consequences on a par
with the introduction of the printing press.

What is truly revolutionary about this technology, however,
is its ability to allow us to collectively develop new knowledge
and interpret it.  One of the most powerful tools in community
empowerment is participatory research. The world-wide web
technology provides a means for communities to create new
knowledge in a community context.  Rather than objects of a
remote institution's research efforts, communities and their
members can become their own subjects.  For example, communities
can develop their own criteria for a healthy community.  At the
computer, each person enters his/her own data thus eliminating
the researcher who collects data.  S/he can also push a button
to see the updated report and analyze the findings.  Using the
technology s/he can share interpretations, conclusions, and
strategies for action with others.

We know from past examples of participatory research, holistic
grazing for instance, that collecting data over time motivates
people to see they have a role in change. The application of
this technology to participatory research can revolutionize the
roles of community leaders and activists as well as those with
whom we work.  Access to the process of generating knowledge
creates an uniquely vital context for action.  If we grasp the
power of the technology to create a community context for
collecting, analyzing and using information, we also create a
process to motivate people to make a difference in the quality
of their everyday lives.  Networked communities of the future
become communities that truly know themselves and, thus, can
plot their course to the future.

Submitted by:

Mary Emery, Director
Institute for Community Development
Lewis-Clark State College
Lewiston, ID 83501
208/799-2460, FX 208/799-2878 memery@lcsc.edu

 Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Universal Access Event
 WWW/Un/Subscribe Info: http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa
 Sub To: majordomo@publicus.net Body: subscribe emfa-event

 Forward event posts via e-mail to others, for details on
 other uses or to send general comments:  emfa@publicus.net