Theme: Universal Internet - Essay 9
Author: Al Gore, Vice President of the United States
E-mail: Vice.President@whitehouse.gov

CONNECTING COMMUNITIES FOR THE FUTURE

 I am very pleased to participate in this online conversation
addressing the important topic of Universal Access. One of the
most important goals that President Clinton and I have set
for this country is to give every child in America access to
high quality educational technology by the dawn of the new
century and to make sure that every person in America --
regardless of race, income or where they live -- will be able to
participate in and benefit from the Information Revolution we are
currently experiencing.

 The power of the Information Revolution is unmistakable. Two
years ago, 40 million people were connected to the Internet.
Last year, it was 100 million.  Traffic on the Internet is
doubling every 100 days.

 As this amazing potential unfolds, we must not lose sight of
the real benefit of the Internet: using this powerful
communications medium to strengthen our communities, improve our
schools and support democracy in our nation and around the
world. We must ensure that these tools are used to bring us
together and not drive us apart.

 Internet access for our nation's children is one of our top
information age priorities. That is why this Administration
supported the E-Rate -- special discounts for schools and
libraries of 20% to 90% on telecommunications services, internal
connections, and Internet access, with the deepest discounts
going to the poorest urban and rural schools that need it most.

  Last week we announced efforts that will help us reach our
goal of providing all children access to the Internet regardless
of race, geography, or income.  Recent studies showed that
only 14% of poor classrooms have Internet access and that there
is also a digital divide drawn along race lines.  Through
Netdays, the E-Rate telecommunications discounts, and other
educational technology programs, all children will have access
to the Internet by the year 2000, regardless of race, geography
or income.

  As schools get online, I encourage educators to share best
practices with each other and broader community.  The exchange
of e-mail among students, teachers, and parents to complement
other forms of communication should be explored.  Having
students share their skills and knowledge with the larger
community through service projects is one way to bring more of
us along into the information age.

 Public access to the Internet for those who do not have access
in their homes or work places is increasingly important.
Libraries play a crucial role and the E-rate will increase the
number public access sites available.  Most of the solutions and
passion for providing broad access to today's Internet exists at
the community level.  We need to promote efforts that bring
these access points to the people on the other side of digital
divide. Opening schools for Internet public access at
appropriate times, expanding library access options, and
bringing computer technology, training, and Internet
connectivity into public housing complexes, senior centers, job
training and social service centers, and diverse community
locations should be encouraged.

 With each technological advancement also comes an opportunity
for more efficient and effective public use.  With digital
broadcasting, we will be able to stream web pages into homes
along with the improved picture quality.  At the community level
what kinds of information should be universally accessible?
Important public health warnings, neighborhood watch
announcements, weather alerts, traffic information and school
lunch menus would certainly be part of the content I'd like to
see on the Internet.

 I want to thank the Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All effort
for the opportunity to share my thoughts with you and wish you
luck with the rest of the event.

 Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Universal Access Event
 WWW/Un/Subscribe Info: http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa
 Sub To: majordomo@publicus.net Body: subscribe emfa-event

 Forward event posts via e-mail to others, for details on
 other uses or to send general comments:  emfa@publicus.net