Theme:  Universal Internet - Essay 6
Author: Mickey Revenaugh, VP for Outreach,
        Schools and Libraries Corporation
E-mail: question@slcfund.org

May 7, 1998

In the 21st Century, technological literacy will be a necessity,
not a frill. To benefit from the Information Age, all
Americans-regardless of income or location-must have access to
advanced telecommunications.

Two years ago, Congress spoke simply and powerfully:  all schools
and libraries should be guaranteed affordable telecommunications
service.  And, one year ago today (May 7, 1997), the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) acted to fulfill this mandate by
establishing guidelines for implementing the new Universal
Service Fund for Schools and Libraries. The FCC rules state that
up to $2.25 billion be made available every year to provide
discounted telecommunications services to schools and libraries
in every region of the country.  The FCC also determined last
year that the newly created Schools and Libraries Corporation
(SLC) would administer the discounts to eligible applicants.

The mission of the SLC is clear: to deliver the benefits of the
new universal service discounts to all eligible schools and
libraries in an efficient and pro-competitive manner. Our mission
can best be summarized by the Chair of the SLC Board of
Director's, Kathleen G. Ouye, who says that "when I see kids
sitting on their parents' laps discovering technology, people
finding jobs, and 80-year-olds using investment resources and
connecting with grandchildren all over the world, I am confident
that the E-rate is the right step - and a big step - toward the
future."

In carrying out our mission, the SLC is guided always by three
central principles:  1/ conduct open and regular communications
with all of those who are interested in the Universal Service
Fund, popularly known as the E-rate; 2/ always take the extra
step to ensure that all schools and libraries, regardless of
financial resources or geographic location, have the opportunity
to participate in the E-rate, and; 3/ protect the long-term
integrity of the program through careful planning and sound
operational controls so that the E-rate represents a long-term
investment in schools and libraries for years to come.

Since the SLC was established last November, a lot has happened.
On January 30, the SLC Web site (www.slcfund.org) opened and the
first E-rate application process began. On April 15, the first
round of completed E-rate applications was received by the SLC.
The response from schools and libraries submitting applications
has been phenomenal - over 30,000 completed applications were
received in the first 75 days of the application process.
Additionally, in the last four months, the SLC Outreach Team has
participated in over 130 training seminars via telephone,
video-conferencing or in person helping librarians, educators and
service providers learn about the E-rate.  Our Client Service
Bureau has handled 62,000 phone calls, answered 8,500 e-mail
messages, and responded to approximately 1,500 faxes since the
Bureau opened up on December 12, 1997.

We cannot build the Information Age economy using Industrial Age
policies.  Investing in the infrastructure of our country is the
only way to  continue to build and expand the 21st Century
economy all Americans and their communities can enjoy and
deserve.

If our goal is to train knowledgeable workers to fill the jobs of
the Information Age, leveraging communications technology for
lifelong learning is essential.  A recent study indicated that
there are presently 364,000 vacant technology jobs in companies
with more than 100 workers. Equipping our nation's schools and
libraries with modern telecommunications services will enhance
the skills and knowledge of America's future workforce to fill
these vital positions.

Without modern technology, this conference would not be possible
- these are the communications tools that should be available for
every American.  Simply put, our schools and libraries need to
replicate the connected, networked workplace that you and I enjoy
every day.

Mickey Revenaugh, VP for Outreach, Schools and Libraries
Corporation

 Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Universal Access Event
 WWW/Un/Subscribe Info: http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa
 Sub To: majordomo@publicus.net Body: subscribe emfa-event

 Forward event posts via e-mail to others, for details on
 other uses or to send general comments:  emfa@publicus.net