Welcome to the Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Internet Discussion      [Home] [Themes] [Comments]

EMFA: T1E1R1 - Safdar Essay Responses

- - E-Mail for All - - - EMFA-EVENT - - - Universal Access - -

Universal E-mail - Responses to Safdar Essay #1 (Primarily)

1. Ronald A. Isaacson, Maryland, US
2. Gerald England, Hyde, Cheshire, UK
3. Tom Abeles, Minnesota, US

Access the original Universal E-mail Essay 1 (T1E1) from:
http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa/uac-archive.htm

--     --     --     --     --     --     --     --     --
[1]

From: "Ronald A. Isaacson" <isaacson@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Subject: Response/Comments T1E1

 First, much of the issue of Universal E-Mail Access has to do
with access - access to the computer hardware, access to the
network (both the local exchange network and the internet), etc.
Assuming those externalities are resolvable, we beg the
question, "Do all citizens require access to every form of
communication all the time?" The answer is no. A certain portion
of humanity simply *chooses* to not be connected to everything.
I have not yet convinced my grandparents (aged 88 and 89) that
they need an e-mail account. They can afford a computer, and
could even figure out how to use it... eventually... Some people
choose not to make these purchases because they see no need --
"I can just as easily pick up the phone and call," they will
probably say.

 A couple of Mr. Safdar's assumptions bothered me. "The market
had created... an advertising revenue-driven free service that
a lot of people really, really needed." E-mail is not like a
telephone line. We can't pick up the e-mail and dial 911, nor
will e-mail keep people warm on a frigid night in mid-February,
nor will it keep the food in the 'fridge from spoiling. E-mail
is not a basic requirement for living, it is a neat, new feature
available through the 'blessings' (for lack of a better term) of
new-age technology. These types of communications services
available via e-mail are also available via regular mail and
over the telephone. E-mail is like Cable-TV -- it is nice to
have, but it is not a NECESSITY.

 Also, although free e-mail might seem free, it is not, in truth,
free. This point deals less with Telecommunication, specifically,
and more with life in general. Although there is no direct charge
for e-mail, accessing it is not free. The computer is not free,
the telephone lines connecting to the computer in the
home/office/school are certainly not free and the network
connecting the telephone lines to the server are not free. Access
has certain costs, and someone, somewhere will be paying them.

 Also, as I got to thinking about Mr. Safdar's first of 3 Factors
That Might End Free EMail Services, The true question in #1
(Tariffing on Telephone Calls to ISPs) is the age-old debate
fought a number of times at the FCC and state PSCs over whether
the ISPs are to be carriers or end- users: If the ISPs want to be
considered as carriers (info-conduits, not responsible for
content, etc.) then there are certain responsibilities inherent
to being carriers; If the ISPs want to be end-users, then so be
it; but we can't have it both ways...

 The other problem with making any sort of change in the access
charge arrangements is that to do so would be perceived as
another grand "bait-and-switch" scheme -- get 'em hooked on one
access arrangement and then sock 'em. The current perception out
there in customer land is that because marginal costs of service
are -0-, the true costs of the service (after the ISP's hardware
are purchased is -0-. As for Mr. Safdar's taxi meter analogy, the
answer is that some people will quit the system, making it easier
for those who stay to use a system that is not running at
capacity, and those that stay will use it more efficiently.

#3	People will deal with spam like they deal with telemarketing
#calls at dinnertime -- most people will just put up with it,
and those really bothered will push for "unlisted e-mail
addresses," as is done with telephone numbers.

Ronald Allan Isaacson	3013539153 Home Phone - - - -
- 3019069600 Cell Phone 12481 Walnut Cove Cir
3019720142 HomeFAX/Modem - isaacson@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Germantown, MD 20874
Represent Myself as recent Graduate of Geo
Washington
 USA		University's Graduate Telecommunication Program.

[2]