Welcome to the Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Internet Discussion      [Home] [Themes] [Comments]

EMFA: T1H2 - Notes, Universal In-box

- - E-Mail for All - - - EMFA-EVENT - - - Universal Access - -

Keep sending in your comments.  Later today we will compile them
for distribution.  Send them to:  emfa@publicus.net

While the Universal Internet essay slots are about full, we have
space for a couple Universal E-Mail essays on Wednesday.
Perhaps the questions on this page will inspire someone from a
technical perspective to help us discover some facts about the
future of e-mail?

We now have close to 650 direct EMFA-EVENT subscribers. If
you missed some of the first posts, visit the archive:

    http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa/uac-archive.htm

Universal In-box

Are you connected to the "e-mail industry?"  Or involved with
standards efforts related to e-mail?  It would be great to hear
from you about technical developments with e-mail that would
impact the costs of e-mail access, message distribution, white
page directories and the like.  I understand that some day text,
images, audio, and video will integrated more seemlessly with
our Universal In-boxes.  Who are the leaders in this
development?  And what kinds of input do they want in the
research and development process?

You may have noticed some of the new stories linked from:
http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa/theme1.htm#News

One story that caught my eye was about Netscape's "Trooper"
e-mail server.  Here is a clip:

             Incorporating technology code-named
             Troopers ISP, the messaging server will be
             scalable, Barksdale said, and will integrate
             with Netscape's Mission Control (the
             company's directory, security and
             administration solution) and enable ISPs to
             offer users universal access to Web-based
             e-mail as well as universal in-box capabilities.

             (According to Netscape officials, Troopers
             ISP is a high-performance Internet Messaging
             Access Protocol mail server that can support
             up to 500,000 users on a single server.)

Full article at:
http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/0427/28ebark.html

Looking at K-12 education in my home state, it would only take
two servers to provide educational e-mail to all the students,
teachers, and staff in Minnesota.  While most students
probably use the free web-based e-mail services from school
and/or home, it would be interesting to learn about options for
schools as they look to integrate e-mail into the educational
experience.

What other kinds of heavy duty electronic messaging systems for
corporations and government are under development?  What impact
will these systems have on e-mail for the general public?

Send your comments to:  emfa@publicus.net

Steven Clift
UAC Event Host
E-Mail for All
 Markle Foundation's E-Mail for All Universal Access Event
 WWW/Un/Subscribe Info: http://www.iaginteractive.com/emfa
 EMFA-EVENT posts may be forwarded via e-mail, for details
 on other uses or for general comments:  emfa@publicus.net